Sleepy Search

Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Nursery

When poeple talk about a nursery, they are typically talking about a baby's room. My nursery is the spot at the top of our drive. When we moved here, I brought anything I could dig up from my city garden. The initial problem was that there was nowhere to plant it. Since it was impossible for me to plan and plant a garden in just one season on a new property that was much larger and less developed than any of my past gardens, I just plopped all of the plants in the easiest spot I could find to dig and plant quickly. That first year, I dug three circular beds in a rectangular space and used gravel to create pathways between and through the beds so I could weed easily. The spot has a lot of trees growing around it so it had shady edges but still had a large center that was full sun. It was perfect for storing shade and sun plants together while I figured out where it would all go permanently.  The second year I started my 5 year garden plan which has since become my rolling 5 year garden plan. I started moving plants into permanent beds and gradually the nursery began to empty. The third year, much to my delight, the nursery filled again. Self-seeded Viola, PoppyPinks, Anemone, Delphinium, Lamium in 2 varieties and Phlox in 3 were all showing up where I had moved their parents from. Small Tulip bulbs missed in the move had grown large and were blooming again. Year 4 was even better with Speedwell, Forget-me-not and Daylily added to the group. Since I had a lot of space to fill, these babies have come in handy over the years and the nursery has stayed just that. Each year, I move the new plants out, being sure to leave a few behind with the gravel and weeds so they can drop their seed in the fall again. This year, I have noticed Lupin popping up and these white Tulips are appearing for the third time. I have twice moved them and both patches are surviving well where they were transplanted. This year I will move these out but I won't try too hard to make sure I get every last one because I love the surprise of spring in the nursery. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post this morning...what a fun little place to have to go 'shopping' in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is and anytime you make it out Regina way, you get in touch and I can send you home with lots of babies that will grow just as nicely in your Alberta garden. Sharing plants is one of the best parts of being a gardener :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are not 'White Dream' as I had thought. When they turned pink in bud, I checked my tags and maps. They could have either been 'Angelique' or 'Sweet Love'. Today they opened and they are definitely 'Angelique' which is better because I thought I had lost them all 2 years ago. Now I have 2 patches that will make a nice size single patch when relocated.

    ReplyDelete